Thursday, May 27, 2010

back home

Today was pretty uneventful. We arrived at clinic around 930am and began the day with a CBC. Shortly after the CBC was drawn we had a three step blood pressure screening. Laying down, sitting, and standing up. All of which turned out to be within normal range. The NP came in and we discussed all symptoms and then she gave Mikayla a head to toe exam. She noticed that her right ear was a bit red and that her gums were a little pale. Not much was made about the discoveries as they really didn't present to be the problem causers. After Mikaylas check up the NP left to get the doctor to have him take a look and to give some insight as to what he thought the problem would be stemming from. The doctor asked some questions and tested her fine motor skills. She checked out and he then listened to her heart. All seemed ok. The doctor said she doesn't seem to have any neurological problems and that he was 98% certain that our ECHO and EKG tests scheduled later in the day would not give us any insight as to the cause. He said he was a bit baffled as to what to tell me is causing the symptoms and that since she has not been dizzy since Sunday that things are most likely settled and it would go away. We have to wait for results on the heart for a few days, but I was felt better as a parent knowing that I am at least getting tests and not hanging out with my hands in my pockets waiting for something bad to happen. With no signs that we had problems in the ECHO and EKG room I had begun to think that maybe it was just something like a fluck. Maybe lack of sleep or a previous infection that only recently burned off. We left the hospital around three in the afternoon and headed home. About an hour into the drive we pulled in to get gas. Mikayla was asleep in the back and had to be woken up to go inside with me to pay. From waking up to getting out of the van happened in the span of like five minutes. Before getting out I asked if everything felt fine and if she was dizzy she said all was ok. Her first step she took there she went. She began to fall right away as if she had no control. It was forward and to the right and she had no idea she was going down, she thought she was still walking! I grabbed her before she hit the ground and asked what happened and she said what do I mean. I said you almost fell. She said oh, I don't know maybe I was a little dizzy. This is the first time I have seen it happen from start to end. The other times she has fallen, I have only noticed when you hear a thud. It is a bit odd. She has always said that she was dizzy after the fall and that is the reason for it happening. I don't think that is the case. From beginning to end she never knew she was going down and a few seconds before hand she said all was ok. I haven't shared this yet with the doctors. I told them today that she falls because she is dizzy. They are trying to figure out why she is getting dizzy, but that is not the case. I don't think she gets dizzy, but blames dizziness because she has no other explanation for us or herself as to the cause. Can your brain just shutdown motor skills at will, but give no advance signs. Signs that can be detected by looking at motor skills? The docs will think I am nuts now when they find out what I seen and what is in my head. They still don't know what to think in the matter and to add to that the fact that she is not dizzy before it happens really will throw them for a loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment